CALL US TODAY (501) 327-0924

Carpet installation is one of the trickier projects to DIY. Professional installation costs are generally quite affordable so most consumers choose to skip the hassle altogether. But if you are adamant about doing it yourself, it helps to be prepared. Carpet installation is tricky, but it isn’t rocket science. Here are four carpet installation tips to help you on your DIY journey.

Get the right tools for the job

This is probably the most important advice that we can give you if you are considering installing carpet on your own. For your project, you are going to require many of your standard use tools (a hammer, chalk line, utility knife, utility stapler, and tin snips) but you are also going to need several specialty tools that are carpet specific. These specialty tools include a power stretcher, seam iron, and knee kicker. These tools are quite expensive, so you are going to want to rent them from your local hardware store.

You can reuse tack strips from previously installed carpeting

If you are replacing existing carpeting, then you can save time and money by reusing the old tack strips. If you are new to carpeting work, tack strips are narrow strips of wood that are studded with many small nails. These strips are installed around the perimeter of the subfloor of a room at the beginning of a carpet installation. These small nails work as anchors to your carpet when it is tucked over them, securing the carpet in place. When removing old carpeting to install new, be careful with your tack strips and you might just be able to reuse them on your next project.

Don’t attach padding over your tack strips

After your tack strips are installed and before it is time to roll out your carpet, you’re going to need to install padding to your floor. This padding gives your carpeted room a nice soft feel, and helps work as an insulator to ensure your floors aren’t too warm or too cold. When installing padding, you want it to extend just up to the edge of your tack strips. Do not install it over the tackstrips, or you will end up with a lump running along the perimeter of your newly carpeted room.

Buy an extra 5% of carpeting when choosing patterned carpets

You will have more wasted material with patterned carpet than you would have with a usual solid color option. This is largely due to extra material being cut and wasted as you work to match the pattern across the seams. For any carpet job, you should purchase at least 5% extra material to give you some wiggle room. If you are looking to install patterned carpet, buy 5% extra carpeting material (for a total of 10% extra carpeting) than you would expect to need.

For more information about carpet installation, or if you need an estimate on installation, contact the professionals here at Carpet Center today!

 

-----Slider Script----